The SouthFit program at the University of South Alabama’s Department of Campus Recreation provides group fitness classes and personal training services to students, faculty, staff, retirees, and alumni. The University of South Alabama is located in Mobile, Alabama and has an enrollment of approximately 16,000 students.
Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Fitness Programs, the Graduate Assistant of Fitness will be
responsible for assisting with the organization, programming, marketing, and scheduling of group
exercise classes and staff, personal trainers, and special events, as well as equipment inventory &
maintenance, utilization reports, and research of new equipment, trends, and program needs. Other duties
include personal training clients, teaching group fitness classes, performing fitness assessments and health
screenings, marketing programs, and possessing a commitment to a fit and healthy lifestyle. Regular
evening and weekend duties are expected. 20 work hours per week are required.
• Bachelor’s degree. Prefer degree in Exercise Science, Health Education, Physical Education,
Sports Management, or related field, but others will be considered.
• Admission to the Graduate School at the University of South Alabama. Candidates should be
pursuing a graduate degree in Exercise Science, Health Education, Physical Education, Sports
Management, Educational Leadership, or related field.
• Current certification in First Aid, CPR, and AED.
• Current certification as a Personal Trainer (AFAA, ACE, ACSM, NSCA, NASM, or other
accredited certification required.)
• Current certification as a Group Exercise Instructor (AFAA, ACE, NETA, ACSM, or other
accredited certification required.)
• Proficiency in teaching a minimum of four of the following group exercise formats: Step
aerobics, INSANITY®, High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.), Bootcamp, Suspension
Training (such as TRX®), Aqua Fitness, Indoor Cycling (such as Spinning®), Strength/Weight
Training, PiYo®, Yoga, Pilates, Barre, or Dance-based aerobics (such as Zumba® or U-Jam®).
Candidate will be expected to teach 3-5 group fitness classes per week, as well as sub on an asneeded
• Proficiency in conducting fitness assessments and designing personal training sessions.
• Strong knowledge of social media outlets including Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and Facebook.
Preference given to candidates as follows:
• Possessing additional specialty certifications/trainings from organizations such as (but not limited
to) Aquatic Exercise Association, Spinning, YogaFit, Zumba®, TRX®, or Beachbody®.
• Experience personal training and conducting fitness assessments.
• Membership and activity in a professional fitness or recreational organization such as IDEA,
ACSM, or NIRSA.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license and maintenance of a driving record sufficient to maintain
insurance coverage under the University of South Alabama.
• Exhibit a strong proficiency in both written and oral communication.
• Tuition and registration fee waiver plus stipend of $10,000 per academic year (Fall & Spring)
• Opportunity for summer employment
Start date: January 6, 2016 (Spring semester)
Interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, copies of all certifications, and three letters of
recommendation to Sarah Schrenk, firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Sarah Schrenk, University
of South Alabama Student Recreation Center, 51 Stadium Blvd, Mobile AL 36688.
Position will remain open until filled. Preference given to candidates who apply before September 15,
2015. Questions may be sent to Sarah Schrenk at email@example.com.
Thursday, July 9, 2015
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
USA Swimming is hiring. Below you will find a link to a great job opportunity.
We highly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Below is the job title and link to apply:
Communications Manager, Multicultural and Foundation
Monday, June 29, 2015
My name is Lauren Faliskie and I am a recent graduate from the JMU KIN program. I am the assistant fitness manager at Fitness Evolution in Sterling, VA and we are looking for motivated individuals to join our team.
We strive to enhance the quality of life in the communities we serve through our fitness philosophy, facilities, programs, products, in order to instill the value of health and fitness in the lives of people everywhere.
Our goal is to provide our clients with successful fitness programming to assist them to achieve their fitness goals.
Our company is rapidly growing, so there are many opportunities for growth. I would love to bring some more Dukes onto our team. If you have any questions or are interested in applying, contact the fitness manager, Seth, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, June 18, 2015
Palmer College of Chiropractic Medicine, Davenport (2 students)Seek employment as physical or occupational therapy technician (many students)
Begin Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) program at Lynchburg College (3 students)
Employed at Atlantic Physical Therapy as an Aide, seek admission to DPT programs
Seek graduate assistantships in collegiate Strength and Conditioning, complete NSCA CSCS certification
Begin Master’s degree in Athletic Training at Florida International University
Shenandoah University DPT (2 students)
Travel around the country for a year! Then seek admission to DPT programs.
Seek admission to JMU Nursing program
Seek employment to gain patient care hours for admission to Physician’s Assistant (PA) programs
California State University Master’s degree in Orthotics and Prosthetics
Select PA program for the fall. Until then work as a Physical Therapy (PT) Aide.
Complete Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course to get patient care hours for admission to PA program
Christian Fellows Program, Charlotte, NC
Begin Physical Therapy Assistant program in Roanoke or Northern Virginia
Seek employment in Nursing field then seek admission to DPT programs
Employed as PT Aide at Princeton Orthopedic, Princeton, NJ
Old Dominion University DPT
Seek opportunities working with children with disabilities
Choose DPT program. Either Thomas Jefferson University or University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Take a year off. Seek admission to Occupational Therapy Programs
Seek employment as CNA. Then seek admission to DPT programs
Radford University DPT (2 students)
Choose graduate program at JMU. Either Nutrition and Exercise or Sport and Recreation Management
Public Relations/Marketing Coordinator for Atlantic Spinal Rehab and Allied PT, Wilmington, NC
Start a small farm focusing on high quality produce for the community
Complete group fitness and personal training certifications
Complete NCSA CSCS and CSCCa certifications
Begin Master of Science in Exercise Physiology at University of Louisville/Strength and Conditioning graduate assistantship
Fire/rescue in Harrisonburg. Eventually become Paramedic.
Begin Master of Science in Exercise Physiology at JMU/graduate teaching assistantship
Seek employment as Division I Lacrosse Coach
Complete DPT program admission pre-requisites
Chiropractic program at Life University, Marietta, GA
Employed as PT Tech at Pivot PT, Rosslyn, VA
Begin Master’s degree at JMU in Sport and Recreation Leadership
Seek admission to Nursing or PA graduate programs
Virginia Commonwealth University DPT, coach Track and Field part-time
Seek admission to PA program at JMU
Play golf as an amateur
Monday, June 1, 2015
Hilton Head Health is still accepting applications for our Fall Internship rotation!!
I would like to introduce myself as the administrator for the Hilton Head Health Program Internship. Our internship program is managed by David Chesworth, one of our Fitness Coaches. However, I will be the main point of contact for any students wishing to apply for an internship here at Hilton Head Health. Please see the attached 2014-2015 Application Packet that details our internship program. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call or email me.
If you are not aware of who we are and what we do, I would encourage you to visit our website, www.hhhealth.com to see what we are really about. In brief, we are a world renowned, award winning health spa resort. We focus on helping individuals create a personalized health and wellness experience and provide an environment for rapid personal growth - developing new healthy habits, jumpstarting weight loss or managing stress are some of the many ways guests choose to begin living a more fulfilling life, healthy lifestyle.
Hilton Head Health has the best singular opportunity to provide exceptional learning and training experiences for Health Management professionals. Because their chosen field is broad and because health is not solely linked to one lifestyle aspect, the curriculum will expose the intern to all of H3 Program sectors of comprehensive wellness. The intern can expect guidance and support from a highly trained professional staff with expertise in their related health promotion area.
Our intention is to extend and expand the intern’s education. While providing opportunities for them to reinforce their strengths, interns will also address and strengthen weaker areas of interest or talent. Ideally, this will allow the intern to participate in an extensive learning opportunity.
Human Resources Representative
Human Resources Representative
HILTON HEAD HEALTH
Internship in Sports Performance
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reading scientific literature related to the performance testing and training
- Assisting and collaborating with Full-time personnel and other sports medicine staff
- Conducting individual or team training sessions including Dynamic Warm-up and Flexibility/mobility drills, multi-direction speed and agility, Plyometrics, Core Stabilization; including medicine ball work, Lower body strength training
- Providing sports nutrition & mental skills education
- Daily setup and maintenance of the training center; office tasks such as scheduling, etc.
· Chart keeping for each athlete
· Attendance during staff meetings
Assisting with physiological testing
· Assisting with research and data entry
· Preference given to a student who has completed a minimum of at least three years of collegiate studies, with a major in one of the following fields: Kinesiology, Pre-med or Health Science, or Exercise Science.
· Essential coursework with a GPA >3.0 includes: Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Motor Learning, Biomechanics, etc.
· Applicants should be energetic, enthusiastic and possess excellent interpersonal skills.
· Experience in high school or collegiate sports and working with young athletes is a plus.
· Note: This is an unpaid internship.
If you are interested in an internship position, please send a copy of your resume and grades in the following courses (Anatomy, Human Physiology, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, other pertinent courses) to Drew Coker – Thomas.Coker@radiology.msu.edu
Interviews will be conducted with candidates prior to an agreement.
Contact Internship Coordinator
Deadline / Decision
Sept 15 / Oct 15
Spring (Jan – May)
Jan 15 / Feb 15
Feb 15 / Apr 1