Graduate Assistant of Fitness: Fall 2016 The SouthFit program at the University of South Alabama’s Department of Campus Recreation provides group fitness classes and personal training services to students, faculty, staff, retirees, and alumni. The University of South Alabama is located in Mobile, Alabama and has an enrollment of approximately 16,000 students.
Jana's Note: Editorial/format issues below are mine, not University of South Alabama's
• Tuition and registration fee waiver plus stipend of $10,000 per academic year (Fall & Spring)
• Opportunity for summer employment at the student rate
Start date: August 8, 2016 (one week prior to the start of Fall semester)
Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Fitness Programs, the Graduate Assistant of Fitness will be
responsible for assisting with the organization, programming, marketing, and scheduling of group
exercise classes and staff, personal trainers, and special events, as well as equipment inventory &
maintenance, utilization reports, and research of new equipment, trends, and program needs. Other duties
include personal training clients, teaching group fitness classes, performing fitness assessments and health
screenings, marketing programs, and possessing a commitment to a fit and healthy lifestyle. A large
portion of work in Fall 2016 will be assisting with the Gulf Coast Fitness Expo, hosted by the University
of South Alabama. Regular evening and weekend duties are expected. 20 work hours per week are
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Prefer degree in Exercise Science, Health
Education, Physical Education, Sports Management, or related field, but others will be
• Admission to the Graduate School at the University of South Alabama. Candidates should be
pursuing a graduate degree in Exercise Science, Health Education, Physical Education, Sports
Management, Educational Leadership, or related field.
• Current certification in First Aid, CPR, and AED.
• Current certification as a Personal Trainer (AFAA, ACE, ACSM, NSCA, NASM, or other
accredited certification required.)
• Current certification as a Group Exercise Instructor (AFAA, ACE, NETA, ACSM, or other
accredited certification required.)
• Proficiency in teaching a minimum of four of the following group exercise formats: Step
aerobics, INSANITY®, High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.), Bootcamp, Suspension
Training (such as TRX®), Aqua Fitness, Indoor Cycling (such as Spinning®), Strength/Weight
Training, PiYo®, Yoga, Pilates, Barre, or Dance-based aerobics (such as Zumba® or U-Jam®).
Candidate will be expected to teach 3-5 group fitness classes per week, as well as sub on an asneeded
• Proficiency in conducting fitness assessments and designing personal training sessions.
• Strong knowledge of social media outlets including Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and Facebook.
• Ability to pass a background check.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license and maintenance of a driving record sufficient to maintain
insurance coverage under the University of South Alabama.
Preference given to candidates as follows:
• Possessing additional specialty certifications/trainings from organizations such as (but not limited
to) Aquatic Exercise Association, Spinning, YogaFit, Zumba®, TRX®, or Beachbody®.
• Experience personal training and conducting fitness assessments.
• Experience with programming fitness conferences or expos.
• Membership and activity in a professional fitness or recreational organization such as IDEA,
ACSM, or NIRSA.
• Exhibit a strong proficiency in both written and oral communication.
Interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, copies of all certifications, unofficial transcript,
GRE scores, and three letters of recommendation to Sarah Schrenk, firstname.lastname@example.org or
mail to: Sarah Schrenk, University of South Alabama Student Recreation Center, 51 Stadium Blvd,
Mobile AL 36688.
Position will remain open until filled. Preference given to candidates who apply by March 1, 2016.
Questions may be sent to Sarah Schrenk at email@example.com.