Tuesday, March 1, 2016

JMU and State Authorization

Here is some information that has recently been brought to my attention. There is some legislation regarding university operation in states other than Virginia where students may complete internships or other for-credit opportunities. In order for students to be allowed to participate in internships (in the context of my JMU responsibilities), the state has to participate in something known as SARA, or State Authorization Reciprocal Agreements. The following states are not currently participating in SARA: DE, DC, NC, KY, WI, UT, CA and (some opportunities in) NY. I am not allowed to authorize for-credit fieldwork experience in those states. This will likely be disappointing and inconvenient news for some of you. If you were hoping to complete fieldwork in one of these states over the summer be sure to touch base with me first before changing your plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment